There is a critical shortage of cyber security analysts and technicians to fill the 50,000 shortage in cyber security jobs within the Federal Government, most of these within the Washington D.C. Metropolitan region. This new BAS concentration in Cyber Security is in collaboration with Northern Virginia Community College (NVCC) and Lord Fairfax Community College (LFCC). It allows students and IT workers who have completed an AAS in Cyber Security or an AAS in Information Systems Technology, with a Cyber Security Career Studies Certificate at the community college, to complete a Bachelor’s degree and start a cyber security career with the requisite skills designed to “hit-the-ground-running”.
Some facts about this concentration:
- Builds on NOVA’s and LFCC’s Cyber Security program which have received DHS/NSA Center of Academic Excellence designation
- Builds hard skills recognized by the NIST National Initiative for Cyber Security Education as requisite for cyber security workers
- Offers online classes to complete the program from anywhere.
- Offers a capstone course which provides experiential-based activities to put learned skills into practice.
In order to be eligible for the BAS in Cyber Security, students must meet the following criteria:
- Earned an AAS in Cyber Security or an AAS in Information Systems Technology, with a Cyber Security Career Studies Certificate, from Northern Virginia Community College or Lord Fairfax Community College.
- Be 25 years or older (or petition the Admissions Committee for consideration.)
- Meet the University English Language Proficiency requirement
- Have completed the following courses at the community college:
- ITN 106
- ITN 170 or ITN 171
- ITN 200
- ITN 261
- ITN 262
- ITN 263
- 2 from: (ITN 267, ITN 276, ITN 277, ITN 295)
- ITP 100
- ITP elective
Please refer to the University Catalog to view the curriculum for this concentration.