Student Appeals

The Student Academic Affairs Appeals Committee handles requests and appeals for exceptions to George Mason University academic policies for undergraduate BAS students.

As part of the appeals process, students will contact their academic advisor prior to submitting any requests. All appeal forms require the signature of the academic advisor prior to submitting the appeal for consideration.

The Office of Student Academic Affairs, Advising, and Retention strives to maintain policies and procedures that are consistent with those of the University as well as what is in the best interest of our students. If you have any questions concerning a particular policy or procedure, please contact Jon May, Assistant Director, Center for Academic Advising, Retention, and Transitions at (

Each student is responsible for knowing the rules, regulation, requirements, and academic policies of the university. All academic policies and guidelines are outlined in the University Catalog. However, students should consult their academic advisor for guidance with regard to any requests for exceptions of George Mason University policies.

To request consideration, students will complete the Academic Action Request Form for BAS students and submit relevant documentation in a timely manner. Examples of appeals include:

  • schedule adjustment (late course add or withdrawal) from the current semester
  • total withdrawal from current semester
  • schedule adjustment or total withdrawal from previous semester
  • credit overload
  • permission to study elsewhere
  • permission to study abroad
  • suspension override
  • return from dismissal

The Committee uses e-mail as an effective way of providing official information to students. In order to protect student privacy and comply with federal law, the Center for Academic Advising, Retention, and Transitions communicates only with the student. Requests to the Student Academic Affairs Appeals Committee are reviewed in the order in which they are submitted. We strive to make timely decisions to assist students. Notification of a decision is usually within a week of submitting a request that includes all relevant and required documentation. Delays may result when a student has not provided all documentation. If you have not heard from the Center for Academic Advising, Retention, and Transitions after two weeks, please contact us the office with regard to your request.

Click here to access the Academic Action Request Form.

In Archive